Friday, July 27, 2012

Nicer Notifications

This is something really not that important in the grand scheme of things but notifications produced by wxNotificationMessage used to look relatively ugly under Unix as they appeared just as a normal window:
And this wasn't especially nicely looking and, even worse, inconsistent with all the other notifications shown by the system.

As I'm currently on vacation and don't feel bound to work on "important" things, I've finally decided to take time to change this. Switching to libnotify to show the notifications as everybody else does was very simple and the end result is much nicer:

or, to show an example of multiple active notifications:

Unfortunately fixing the rest of the problems due to lack of integration with Linux desktop turned out to be less trivial, for example I totally failed in my attempts to get notifications about the system going to sleep and waking up that I'd really like to implement for wxGTK. The only other thing I managed to do during this vacation was a couple of minor wxWebView enhancements but more about this in a future post.

No comments: